Effective Radio Advertising: 10 Questions To Ask The Sales Guy
You have made the decision to invest your advertising budget in local radio. So you contact several radio stations and invite them to send a sales guy to make a presentation to earn your business. Each one makes a compelling argument for advertising on their station. Are there questions you can ask each sales guy to make sure you make a choice that will be effective for your business and get the most for your investment?
I shared the following scenario with 15 seasoned, smart, and successful radio sales guys to discover what advice they might have:
"Suppose your best friend owns a business in a faraway city. She is thinking about advertising on the radio. She invites sales guys from several stations in her city to present their stations. Your friend asks you for a list of questions she should ask each sales guy to help her select the right station. What list of questions would you send to your best friend?"
Here are the top 10 questions the radio sales guys would advise their best friends to ask:
- What is it about your listeners that makes you think they would buy my product or service?
- Can you share with me examples of success similar businesses to mine have had advertising to your listeners?
- Can you provide me with specific research comparing the buying habits of your listeners with the profile of my target customer?
- What promotional or sponsorship opportunities are available to weave my business into the fabric of your radio station?
- If I had enough budget to buy one station in addition to yours, then who would you recommend and why?
- Are there opportunities for your station personalities to endorse my business?
- As part of my campaign on your station, could you help me expand my social media presence?
- What are the potential pitfalls and disadvantages of advertising on your station?
- Are there opportunities to increase the number of exposures my business will have among your listeners if I use short-length commercials (e.g., 10 or 15 seconds)?
- Is the advice you are giving me the same advice you would give your best friend?
Reputable sales guys will be able to provide you with in-depth answers to each of these questions. You can then compare all of the answers you receive to determine which radio station best fulfills your marketing objectives and business priorities.
Still need more guidance? Then I suggest you download a copy of the Small Business Guide To Effective Radio Advertising. You can download your copy by clicking here.